Sunday, September 17, 2023

In support of a pregnant friend with a struggling man

 I recently received an email from a lover of years past. She is now pregnant and with a man who is very unclear whether he wants to be a father and whom she describes as often angry, distant and reserved. He emphasizes freedom in his spiritual growth and is thus resisting being a father with all the responsibilities that entails. This woman reached out to me asking me for advice. I share my response below:

Good morning [name],

That sounds like a difficult situation to be in. A few things may help -

1. Men's group: He is in a situation which is very difficult to work through without other men, and with time pressure. I strongly encourage he find or start a men's group that meets regularly. It should focus on good men's group things like integrity, facing his fears, taking responsibility for his actions and his life, finding his life purpose and actually walking it, and so on. If this doesn't work out, finding a really good life coach or therapist may help - anyone he can confide in that will both hear him and hold him to a high standard.

2. Choosing from freedom: Freedom for some people can mean, "I have no obligations and nobody expects anything from me". This ultimately is very isolating and not very satisfying, but with this perspective, any obligation/expectation is a burden, a diminishment of freedom. And of course, parenthood with little external support and unsure relationship with baby-mama has a lot of obligations/expectations! Another, deeper sense of freedom is this: "I commit to living the most meaningful life imaginable, to being who I am alive to be. I recognize in my heart I am meant to be a father, and I accept that this pregnancy is a gift in helping me be who I alive to be - a father. This is a challenge to be grateful for." In other words, he must not think of this as a burden or something forced on him, but something that is part of his sacred path, which if you're right that he wants to be a father, it is.

3. Acknowledging fears: If you're right that he really wants to be a father, then the reason he's not excited is because he's scared. The first and hardest step is always to face the fears. Example fears: How will he have to rearrange his life? Will he know how to handle difficult situations with you or the kid? What will he have to give up that might be important to him? What dreams did he have of fatherhood that this doesn't quite match up to? Can he handle a responsibility that lasts the rest of his life, not just a year or two like a job? Will he treat his child the way his parents treated him, or will he do better? Can he afford to take care of the kid and take care of you?

He might not even be able to articulate these fears to himself. The more you can get him to articulate these fears, the better. Once they're out in the open, you can acknowledge your faith in him and simply work through things. Until the fears come out, they remain difficult for you to help with.

4. Bravery and trust: Many men learn not to face their fears, which is exactly what needs to happen in this situation. Again, a good men's group can be extremely helpful. In this situation, it is important for him to find the bravery to face his fears. There are many ways for him to do that. One thing that inspires bravery in men is women's trust. To hear you say "I trust you" or "I have faith in you, I know you can do anything" as you look into his eyes, this is powerful. Of course, you have to find that trustable, brave part of him as you speak so that your words are true. But of course you trust him, or else why would you try to keep him around as the child's father?

A simple mantra which may help him is this: "I can handle anything". Just him saying this over and over may help, and hearing you say it about him may help too, so long as you mean it.

5. You must have faith: This last one is for you. Faith means to trust that the best thing that can happen will happen. If he's meant to be this child's father, he will find it in his heart to show up. if not, he will leave, and that will be the best thing. If you feel afraid and try to pressure and manipulate him, it will do no good, even if he ends up staying a little while before leaving. Build him up, help him be a deeper man, remind him you're in this with him together, and you can do it. If he refuses, keep doing your best - open in spite of his closure, as we used to say together. And ultimately, if he keeps refusing, prepare to take care of yourself and the child without him and be a model of strength and resourcefulness of your child. Find family supporters, find other women friends, do whatever you need to do. I know you can do it, if you need to!

Remember that your choice of father is one of your first gifts to your child. I can tell how much you want this man to be the baby's father. I hope it works out and he finds his true strength. But if not, there are other men, and there are many fathers so bad that it would have been better not to have a father at all. So again, do your best and have faith.

I wish you well! I hope you will let me know how it goes.